I am OVER THE MOON, my friends. Medium just published my collection of 8 comprehensive tutorials on how to build a brand. Here’s why I did it.
Over the past year, I’ve seen faux marketers charge upwards of $2000 for courses on what I’m sharing for free. The difference being is that they haven’t done the thing they’re teaching for no one other than themselves and their personal brand. I’ve been doing this professionally for 20 years. And what makes me postal is the fact that what they’re teaching is WRONG. If you don’t know the difference between brand, branding, and brand platform, you shouldn’t be selling a course on it.
I also created this because $2,000 courses give access to an elite group of people. Not everyone can afford that kind of coin and I think knowledge should be shared and accessible by all. Especially if you’re like me, privileged. I’m passionate about this to my core, and why you may think–meh, this is just a series of posts, it’s so much more to me. It means people can learn for free or on the cheap.
I’m sharing detailed tutorials, downloadables, graphics, and extensive vetted resources for further learning, including free online courses from MIT, Google, and more. You know, reputable brands. So here’s what’s included, and each tutorial can stand on its own:
1. How to Build a Brand: This gives you a sweeping overview of the brand platform process, from research to storytelling including its application, i.e. creating a messaging and content strategy.
2. Let’s Talk About Brand Discovery: I go deep on my discovery and research process using the 3-Cs method (consumer, competitor, and company). I outline how to perform primary and second research along with a crap ton of resources. All brand development MUST START WITH RESEARCH AND DATA. THE END.
3. Let’s Talk About Story: I show you how to create the basic and essential brand narratives–the elevator and signature story. This will be the foundation for your brand platform and story strategy.
4. Let’s Talk About Brand Positioning + Purpose: From prisms to BP and CD-maps (cool marketing jargon, eh?), I’ll explain what these terms mean and show you how to create a brand that stands apart from the pact. This step is CRUCIAL because it’s the foundation. You don’t get this right, it’s like building a house without a blueprint.
5. Let’s Talk About Brand Benefits + RTB: Ah, the meat of the affair. What people get out of your brand (i.e., what’s in it for them) and why they should care.
6. Let’s Talk About Brand Personality, Voice and Tone: This is the fun part–humanizing your brand through fun mood boards and psychology. Yep, I get Jungian on you.
7. Let’s Talk About SWOT Analysis: Because you have to know where you stand relative to your customer and the competition and where you need to refine and improve.
8. Let’s Talk About Content Strategy: Okay, cool. You’ve got the blueprint on lock. How do you translate this to your messaging and content strategy? And ultimately, your marketing strategy. This is essentially your brand, in practice.
I am so proud of this series. I wrote and published two books and I swear this was almost just as hard!
If you love what you read, PLEASE CLAP A LOT (MORE THAN ONCE) AND SHARE.
And listen, if you can’t afford the $5 medium fee (these are behind the paywall and you get three free articles a month), email me and I can send you links that bypass the paywall. Because I know what it’s like to think $5 is a lot of money because for most people it is. And we all need to respect that.
And hey, if you want to support me and my work, consider a donation.
I hope you enjoy this! I’m so grateful to medium for their consistent support of my work, their careful editing and copyediting because every writer NEEDS their editors.